When you migrate your website to a new web host, there are a number of things that can impact your site’s traffic. If not done properly, migrating your website can result in a significant drop in traffic. In this article, we’ll give you five tips to avoid losing website traffic when migrating your website.
How Migrating Web Hosts Can Impact Your Site
There are a number of factors that can impact your traffic when you switch web hosts. One of the most common is changes to your DNS settings. When you change web hosts, your DNS (Domain Name System) settings will also need to be updated. Your DNS is what tells browsers where to find your website. If it’s not updated, then visitors will be unable to find your site.
Another common issue is changes to your IP address. Your IP address is what identifies your server on the internet. When you change web hosts, your IP address will also change. This can cause issues with some browsers, as they may not be able to find your new server.
Five Tips to Avoid Losing Web Traffic When Moving Your Site
When you migrate your website to a new web host, there are several things that can impact your traffic. Here are five tips to help you avoid losing website traffic when migrating your site:
1. Keep the site up on your old host and new host at the same time. DNS entries can take several hours to propagate, so make sure to keep your site online on your old hosting provider for a few hours, even after you’ve updated your DNS servers.
2. Do a full backup of your website before you begin the migration process. This way, if anything goes wrong, you have a copy of your site to fall back on.
3. Notify your visitors of the upcoming change in advance. This way, they can be prepared for any disruptions in service and know when to expect the new site to be up and running.
4. Test, test, test! Be sure to thoroughly test your new site before you make it live. This includes checking all links, pages, and functionality to make sure everything is working as it should.
5. Monitor your traffic closely after migrating your site. This will help you identify any potential problems and address them quickly. By following these tips, you can avoid losing website traffic when migrating your site to a new web host.
At CanSpace Solutions, we understand that people are nervous to move the site they’ve worked so hard on and risk negatively impacting their traffic. We will migrate all of your data free of charge, and have you up and running on our servers without any downtime whatsoever.
Our support team can migrate even the most complex websites from any other provider, and can usually do so within just a few hours. Find out more about our hosting plans!